Empower Your American Experience:
Attend the Greenheart Global Leaders Conference
The Greenheart Global Leaders Conference is a new addition to CCI Greenheart’s Summer Work Travel and Intern/Trainee cultural offerings. The purpose of the conference is to:
- Create leaders within the J-1 Summer Work Travel and Intern/Trainee programs.
- Empower participants to create change in their American host communities and their home countries.
When: Monday, August 4, 2014 – Thursday, August 7, 2014
Where: Washington D.C.
- Attend meetings, activities, and workshops with important governmental, social, and cultural leaders in the Washington D.C. area.
- Train to be a Greenheart Service Leader and prepare your own community service project in your home country.
- Experience the nation’s capital of Washington D.C. with a tour, entertainment, and a service project.
Why should you attend the conference?
- Take part in workshops and discussions that will develop your international leadership skills.
- Be introduced to the concept of service learning and will be given the tools to complete a service-learning project in your home country.
- Learn how to create a leadership alumni program in your home country.
- Meet important governmental officials in Washington D.C.
- Have fun exploring the nation’s capital!
- DAY: Arrive in D.C, meet and greet other participants, and enjoy a fun activity.
- DAY: Volunteer service project, then a workshop on alumni building and service learning in home countries.
- DAY: Meet with important government officials, including a senator and a Department of State representative; end the day by exploring Washington D.C.
- DAY: Reflect on the experience in the morning, depart in the afternoon.
Frequently Asked Questions
The Greenheart Global Leaders Conference is a new addition to CCI Greenheart’s Summer Work
Travel and Intern/Trainee cultural offerings for the summer season. The purpose of the conference
will be to create leaders within the J-1 Summer Work Travel and Intern/Trainee programs, who will
be empowered to create change in their American host communities and in their home countries.
Please see below for many frequently asked questions about the conference. If you have any
additional questions, please email Haldis Toppen at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Why should a participant participate in the conference?
In addition to the fun activities, tourist attractions, and teamwork they will experience,
participants will also meet important governmental, social and cultural leaders based in
Washington D.C. Then after completing the conference, participants will return to their
American host communities inspired to volunteer through the Greenheart Club and create a
sustainable impact in their home country.
When is the conference?
The dates for the conference are August 4th-7th, 2014.
Where is the conference?
The conference will take place in Washington D.C, the heart of American democracy.
What are the eligibility requirements to participate in the conference?
Any Summer Work Travel participants and Intern/Trainee participants in the country are
invited to apply. All participants who are interested in the conference must have permission
from their host organizations and should have an intermediate to fluent level of English.
Will flights be included? What details should we know about their arrival?
No. Participants will be responsible for finding their own transportation to Washington D.C.
and meet at Hostelling International between 10:00 AM and 6:00 PM on August 4th.
Is there a limit to the number of participants that a partner can send?
There is no limit. The conference will be filled on a first-come, first-served basis.
What is the conference price and what does it include?
The price of the conference is $570 or $400 for participants who do not need lodging. This
includes lodging, all meals, all activities, and ground transportation to events (not including
flights, or transportation to/from airport). Participants should bring spending money for
souvenirs or other incidentals.
How do participants pay for the conference?
Participants pay for the conference directly to CCI Greenheart. Once a participants have
applied, they will receive instructions from CCI Greenheart on how to submit payments.
What if my participants are scheduled to work during this time?
CCI Greenheart has created a “permission slip” that will be given to host organizations.
Participants should send this document to host organizations after they apply to the
conference, and have received their visa. This way the host organization knows to schedule
the participants off of work those days.
What will participants do at the conference?
Here is a sample itinerary of activities:
DAY 1: Arrive in D.C, meet and greet other participants, and enjoy a fun activity.
DAY 2: Volunteer service project, then a workshop on alumni building and service
learning in home countries.
DAY 3: Meet with important government officials, including a senator and a Department of
State representative; end the day by exploring Washington D.C.
DAY 4: Reflect on the experience in the morning, depart in the afternoon.
Where will the participants be staying?
Participants will stay in Hostelling International right in the heart of Washington D.C.
Is a participant required to create an alumni group and do a service learning project in their home
Alumni groups and service learning projects are not required, but strongly encouraged. The
goal of the program is to excite participants so that they will see the benefits and will want
to complete a project.
How does a participant sign up for the program?
The participant simply completes a short one-page application and submits this to Haldis
Toppen at email@example.com.
Is there a deadline to join the program?
The deadline for the program is May 15th, 2014. However the deadline can be extended
until the program is filled.
If you have any additional questions, please email Haldis Toppen at firstname.lastname@example.org.